Monday, August 19, 2013

I thought I could do Hard Things

I've been trying to get Amelia interested in using the potty for what seems like an eternity.  I stepped up my efforts a few weeks ago, and hoped that we might have even a glimmer of success.  I figured if I could get her excited about it, that she'd be ready and willing to try it.

And yesterday I went cold-turkey on Amelia.  I had been telling her that when the diapers ran out, I wasn't going to buy any more and she'd get to start wearing underwear.  Yesterday we used the last diaper and the "Potty Princess" delivered a surprise - a crown for her to wear.

But after multiple messes and crying fits yesterday and today, I gave up.  Amelia doesn't even want to try to sit on the toilet and runs screaming and crying if I suggest it.  I decided I just don't have the mental/ physical/ emotional energy to deal with that right now.  

I put away all the potty stuff - the chair, the sticker charts, the treats, the crown and off to Costco we went for another box of diapers.  I felt a bit like a failure, but after eating some dark chocolate, I feel much better.  And if I could somehow get a nap today, I'd be all better :)

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Potty training is my least favorite "milestone". I am trying to gear up to try with my son. I used to let my daughter sit on her toilet and watch movies while drinking juice to try to get her to go. Eventually it worked. One thing I did that helped me stay sane was I would put panties on her and then a pull up over them so she could feel it when she had an accident but I didn't have to suffer the consequences:) Good luck!