Some days don't go at all like we've planned them; sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes you've got to find joy in the journey.
I had planned to go pick blueberries with the kids today, and since Ken had the day off, he came along too. Bonus! Someone to help pick berries AND watch the girls.
After an hour of successful berry picking, we headed home. The car was a little warm, so we had the windows down a bit to help cool off the car while we waited for the AC to catch up. As we were driving in stop and go traffic on the freeway, (mostly stop), I had the thought that we should roll up Amelia's window. Just as I turned to tell Ken to roll it up, I heard a thunk. I turned around to the backseat and saw a look of surprise/horror on Amelia's face. I asked "did you just drop your shoe out the window?". And as she said yes, I could see it in my side-view mirror. I came this close to getting out of the car, but logic and forward movement of the car stopped me. I watched as a car, 2 cars back, ran over the sandal. And at that point, I knew it was a lost cause for sure.
Amelia didn't mean to drop her sandal out the window, she was just playing around with it, near the open window. Frankly, I'm surprised that's the first thing that's fallen out of the car, but hopefully, it's the last. Amelia was so sad and cried all the way home. She didn't understand why we couldn't stop the car and get the sandal. I cried too, but for different reasons. 1- It's hard to watch your children learn a lesson the hard way. 2 - And less important, Amelia doesn't own another pair of sandals, and I knew she'd need some for the rest of the summer, and shoe shopping was not on my agenda for today.
Thankfully, since Ken was home today, I left Sophia with him, and took Amelia to go look for sandals. Do you know how hard it is to find sandals at the END of the summer? We started at a thrift store - no sandals at all. BUT - I did find a rainjacket and dress for Sophia, plus some new church shoes for me. Bonus! As long as I was shopping, I figured I'd make the best of it, right? Then off to Fred Meyer - I found some adorable Crocs . . . but they were $35! Who would pay $35 for crocs for a child that they'll outgrow in a few months? The highlight at Freddy's? Getting a free cookie for Amelia! Then to Payless Shoes - only a few sandals to choose from and none in Amelia's size. But, I did measure Amelia's feet, and discovered that her feet are bigger than I thought - that's a good thing, since I probably would have bought the wrong size of winter shoes. And finally, to a 2nd Payless Shoes store. I not only found sandals, but found cheap sandals AND in Amelia's size. But just as we were trying them on, the sales lady brings over a pair of "princess" sandals that light up. Amelia obliged me by trying on the "cheap" sandals, but insisted on buying the princess sandals. After 2 1/2 hours of shoe shopping and driving around town, I had no energy left to be firm . . . so instead, I politely, ie. sarcastically told the sales lady "thanks" for showing us the expensive shoes, bought the sandals (and some winter shoes for Amelia) and headed home.
Shoe shopping wasn't how I planned on spending my afternoon, but in the long run, it all worked out. Amelia LOVES her new shoes and was excited to show them to Daddy. Sophia likes her jacket and new dress. And I'm happy this adventure is over until another day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment