Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

On Saturday, we drove up to the Port Townsend area for the weekend, and started our afternoon at Fort Warden State Park.  I had planned on a cold, rainy weekend, so I was unprepared for the sunshine, but definitely didn't complain.  Sophia asks for sunglasses when it's sunny, but she doesn't like to wear them; she just plays with them and hangs them around her neck.
Amelia is happiest at the beach when she can dig and play in the sand.

Amelia found a "treasure" and wanted Daddy to take a picture of it.  I'm not sure what the treasure was, but she was pretty excited about it.

At Fort Warden State Park, we also visited the Marine Science Center.  It's basically a bunch of tide pools, indoors, where kids and adults can touch the sea life.  Amelia was brave and touched almost everything - sea stars (aka. starfish), sea anemones, sea worms.  She wanted to touch the crabs, but we told her that wasn't such a good idea.  She thought the octopus was cool, but I think she's happy that it was in a tank where it couldn't touch her.
On Sunday we drove to Sequim, and walked along the Dungeness Spit - one of the world's longest natural sand spits.  It was beautiful and the rocks on the beach were amazing.
My pictures really don't do justice to the cool variety of rocks, but since we weren't allowed to take any off the beach, this is as good as it gets (with my camera, anyway). 
Sophia preferred to be held where it was rocky, instead of walking on her own.
But once we got to more open sand, Sophie was happy to get down and explore on her own.  We didn't walk the 5 miles to the lighthouse and back again, but we did enjoy exploring close to shore.
Apparently Ken and I must have been taking too many pictures this weekend.  This is Amelia saying "don't take my picture".

This tree that was lying on the ground had a knot in it, and the knot was filled with little rocks and water.  Amelia and Sophia were in heaven playing with them.


After lunch we went to a wild animal farm - definitely not something to do on a holiday weekend.  It was packed - bumper to bumper cars and hard for the girls to wait to see the animals.  However, I think they enjoyed it.  I know Sophia loved the peacocks and Amelia's favorite was the zebras.  Both girls were worn out by the time we headed back to our hotel.

Click here to watch a video of the girls snoring/sleeping on our way home.  It's not exciting, but Ken and I thought it was funny, so maybe you will too. 

Overall, it was a great, relaxing weekend and we can't wait to go to another beach in July.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

These are great pictures! I hope the binkie withdrawals get easier. I'm sure they will but it's not much fun in the meantime.