Sunday, January 20, 2013

Oh Deer

A month or so ago I mentioned that we had some deer in our backyard, and if you follow me on Facebook, you know that not only have we seen more deer since then, but we've also seen male deer.  I've seen female deer travel together, but I've never seen male deer travel together until now.  In the last few weeks, I've seen 2-3 male deer in our yard at the same time on multiple occasions.  Judging by their size (or points of their antlers), they're all about the same age, but one looked older, possibly because he was limping.  I don't really mind that they're eating our bushes . . . they needed to be trimmed anyway, but it made me sad to see one of the deer hurting.

On Saturday afternoon, Ken was working out in the yard when he came to show me what he had found on our lawn.
The antler stump was still red from blood, so we were guessing that a deer must have lost it pretty recently.  Then Ken also noticed that a corner of the lawn, near the green space was all dug up, and a small tree was broken.  We can only guess that perhaps 2 of the deer were fighting for territory? and one of them lost an antler in the fight. 

That evening, during my party, I'm telling the ladies about the antler Ken had found, and one of the ladies wanted to see our backyard, so I turn on an outside light and we look outside, and there is a male deer . . . with only one antler . . . and he's limping.  Now at least we know which deer it was that lost the antler.  Who knew when we moved here that we'd have such interesting wildlife adventures?


No comments: