Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year Theme - 2014

Every year people set New Year's resolutions, myself included.  Last year, for the first time, I chose a theme for the year, rather than a bunch of resolutions and I loved it.  It was so much easier to keep a theme in mind, to keep me focused all year.  Last year I chose the theme of Joy.  I needed to find more joy in my journey; joy being a mom, joy in the every day things that happen, joy even when things didn't seem to be going right.  I also wanted to do more things to help my daughter, Amelia Joy, know my mother, Joy.  In January I had no idea that my Mom would pass away in 2013, but God knew I needed to create those memories for my daughter before it was too late.

And as I have reflected on my self, my behavior, who I am and who I want to be, I've known for the past few months what theme I needed for 2014.  In 2013 I turned 40, and spent the year celebrating me - doing things for me, things I needed.  And now I know that I need to focus outwardly this year, so my theme for 2014 is:

Charity

Sometimes I think of Charity as service, but it's so much more.  I am reminded of a great scripture that defines Charity:  Moroni 7: 44-46.  There are so many things in this scripture I need to work on, especially at home:  not being easily provoked (kids can drive me crazy), being kind, endureth all things (did I mention that kids can make me crazy), etc.  And I've come to realize lately that service is a lot more than what is typically thought of as a "service project". There are so many ways I can serve, even if I never leave my home.  I'm excited for this year and look forward to growing in new ways.

No comments: