Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Aftermath and Resolutions

  • The Thankful Tree was so successful in November, that I created a Service Tree for December - a blank paper Christmas tree, with paper ornaments added every time one of us did something for someone else - a friend, neighbor, ward member, family.  Amelia especially liked it and I loved it when she recognized that someone had done something nice for her.


  • Does anyone else suffer from post-Christmas angst as new toys/gifts are broken/ruined/lost within days of Christmas?  Ken tells me it's just me, but I gotta think that someone else out there feels at least some of what I do.
    • We got Sophia an "Anna" dress from Frozen - it was torn and shredding by the next day.  I spent an hour the other day fixing the dress in the hopes that it will last a few more months.
    • Amelia has lost and/or damaged parts to a simple game she got.  She doesn't seem to mind, so I guess I shouldn't either.
    • And don't even get me started about how much sugar is in this house and how much we've all consumed.  I think I'll deliver veggie/fruit trays to our neighbors next year!
  • Last year I was quite philosophical about my New Year's resolutions/ theme for the year.  Overall, I don't think I was very Charitable last year, at least within my own home . . . but the fact that I can remember what my resolution/ theme was, should count as something, right?
  • So this year, I've simplified my goal to my Top 3:
    • Read the Book of Mormon every day.  It would be great to finish it in 2015.  It would be awesome to study it intently.  But the fact that I haven't really read from this amazing book that I truly love, since before Amelia was born, tells me that I have to start small to get back on track.
    • Build up our food storage to a 3-mon supply.  This has been on my to-do list for over a year now.  I have a great plan, I just need to implement it.  How hard should that be, right?  We'll see if I have more than pasta and diced tomatoes by Dec. 2015 :)
    • And the hardest, but probably the most important of my Top 3:  Be more patient, loving and understanding in our home.  I pray for this daily.  But I don't always do my part daily.  Being a mom is hard.  Being a mom who is a control freak makes it really hard.  I'm just hoping I figure out how to be more patient, loving, and understanding before the girls go away to college.
Happy New Year . . . and may your resolutions be with you!

2 comments:

Kimma said...

I love the service tree idea! I'll keep that one in my back pocket for another December in the future. :) Also, good luck on your resolutions! I, too, have a BoM goal - it's been far too long since I've read it or any scriptures. (I used to say that the illustrated Book of Mormon Reader counted, but I haven't even read that for a while.) So it's definitely time. We can do it!

Lisa said...

Love the tree idea! And your goals are great ones. So grateful to have you as my friend!!