Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Recap

As the kids get older, we've been starting a few traditions, such as going to the Festival of Trees, looking at Christmas lights around the area, and frosting sugar cookies on Christmas Eve.  We've done gingerbread houses a few times, but no one likes to eat the finished product and I have a hard time throwing away all that sugar.  So we (meaning I) have decided that frosting and decorating sugar cookies is a great alternative.  And this year, I spread out the "joy" by making the cookies on the 23rd and frosting them on Christmas Eve.  I can't handle too much "fun" in one day.  The girls did a great job frosting the cookies - much better than last year.  I think we're onto something.
The "decorating" part though, well, that could use a bit more practice.  I think we actually ran out of sprinkles before we were done decorating because they used so many.
After a Christmas Eve program (a few scriptures and Christmas hymns to go with) and setting out cookies for Santa and carrots for the reindeer, the girls were nestled all snug in their beds.  Knowing how curious the girls are with the decorations/ornaments, we chose not to put out Christmas presents until Christmas Eve.  We'd already wrapped everything, so it was just a matter of bringing them out of hiding and putting on the final touches.  This is Ken's "hurry and take the picture, I'm trying to get this done so I can go to bed" face ;)
This is Sharon's "I'm trying to look cute by the tree when all I want to do is go to bed" face.
Amelia woke up at 6:30a and was ready to get started, but since Sophia wasn't awake yet, I let her open her stocking from Santa while we waited.  And then Ken suggested we have breakfast while we waited for Sophia to wake up.  And when Sophia woke up while we were eating, we all managed to finish our Christmas waffle breakfast BEFORE we opened presents.  I kind of like that tradition - not sure if the girls will let us keep that one though.

The "party" started soon after with Amelia discovering her new scooter, which led to Sophia finding her new scooter . . . and the "race" was on.
Here is Sophia trying out her new yo-yo from Santa.  Thank goodness Santa found a yo-yo that "always comes back".  And thank goodness no one has been hurt by a flying yo-yo yet. 
 Grandpa Ray sent art kits to both girls.  Here's Sophia displaying her first watercolor.
Grandma Diane sent a card making kit for Amelia and she quickly got to work making a card . . . for herself.  Because when she makes a card, it turns out so cute, she wants to keep it.
Everyone got things that made them happy and I was happy to be with my family.  We also had fun Skyping with my Dad and brother in UT.  And we ended the day with another one of our traditions, watching "The Nativity" on Christmas, to remind us once again, why it is we're celebrating the day.  We hope you all had a Merry Christmas . . . and to all, a good night.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

What a fun Christmas! Love it. The cookies sound like the perfect tradition.